Windows 8 has no “Start Menu” button in the desktop mode as Microsoft thought it to be a less used unnecessary burden after new Win8 Metro Start Screen. But if you disagree, here are five free Windows Start Menu Apps to let you have that Start button back.
StartMenu8 is Windows 8 start menu app to give you an easy way to access your most used applications and programs. It brings back both the start button and Windows Start Menu.
Option to skip Metro start page, allowing users who only work on desktop to boot to Windows 8 desktop directly is also available. It is designed and developed by iObit and is supported through email and community forums.
StartMenu7 was actually developed for Windows 7 but as all Win 7 apps are compatible with Windows 8 OS, it will help you get back your Start Button and Start menu for free. Salient features of StartMenu7 as quoted on it’s homepage are as follows:
- Open any location on your PC with a single click.
- There is a specialRun button to access seldom used locations without adding them into menu.
- Start Menu 7 has a customizable Power Buttons panel.
- With Power Timer feature you can delay any of power management operations.
Classic Shell start menu is a Sourceforge project which brings back your classic Windows Start menu.
It is a simple but very effective replacement for missing Start button in Windows 8.
Pokki gives easy access to Shutdown, Control Panel etc. Pokki also features an App Store of its own to download other nifty Windows Apps.
” Win8startbutton is a free and unique software package that offers you powerful programs to enhance Windows8 experience.”
Prime features of this free app are (quoted from homepage)
- Restore Windows Start button and Start menu on Windows 8!
- Make ‘desktop mode’ as your default Windows startup screen
- Choose appearance: classic windows, aero mode, Win 7 and more!
- Restore all your familiar windows menus and options