From Jan, 20,2011 Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service is a reality in all telecom circles across India. This day will surely go as a major milestone in the telecom history of India. Here is a brief primer on what Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service is all about and how to avail this facility.
What is Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service ?
Mobile Number Portability (MNP) enables mobile users to retain their old mobile phone number while changing their network operator. For example, a BSNL user may switch to Vodafone while retaining his old number as it is.
What are the advantages of Mobile Number Portability (MNP) ?
Advantages of this facility are numerous. To name a few:
1. Mobile phone user don’t need to tell or transmit his new number to all his contacts after changing the network operator.
2. Mobile phone user or customer gets the benifit of choosing the best available tarriff plan from any operator without bothering about the hassle of change of mobile number.
3. It allows increased competition among various mobile operators and hence better services for the customer.
4. It is specially useful to high end users (read postpaid users!!) who don’t want to loose old mobile number and were earlier spending higher on costly plans just to retain their mobile number.Now they can change the operator and switch to a cheaper plan with their old number as well.
How to use Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service in India ?
To avail this service You need to do the following steps:
1. Get a Porting Authorisation Code (PAC)
In India, mobile phone user or customer needs to get the Porting Authorisation Code (PAC) or simply Porting Code from his existing network operator via SMS message. To get this code
SMS PORT <MOBILENUMBER> to 1900
For example send
PORT 94254xxxxx to 1900
You will be sent a Porting Code in return via SMS.
The tentative cost or charges for availing Mobile Number Portability (MNP) facility in India is Rs. 19/- only.
2. Apply for a new connection to the new network operator with this Porting Code. The procedure is similar to applying for a new connection with this Porting Code as reference. Rest of the formalities of number portability shall be taken care of by your new operator and your network operator will be changed from old network operator to the new operator with the same number.
3. Porting time is 7 days in India and your porting code will be invalid after 7 days. So once you get a Porting code, don’t wait for too long before applying for a new operator.
Go ahead and enjoy the best mobile service out there without any hassles attached with a new number.