Google Algorithm updates like the recent Penguin Update caused many genuine blogs and articles to be pushed down search rankings without any apparent fault. Here are some tips to improve your blog and content to avoid getting negatively impacted from Penguin update, Panda update or any other future Google update targeted to better the Google search results.
To provide these tips we need to step into Google’s shoes to think that if Google comes across a keyword rich (or keyword stuffed) page which will be a suspected candidate for penalty, what other signals it will look for before deciding that the web page is low quality, poor or fake.
Based on this thought process, we formulated a strategy to avoid getting impacted from Penguin update, Panda update or any other future Google update targeted to better the Google search results. These tips are also useful to recover from any such algorithm update.
It may not work in all cases but it will certainly put you in good stead and increase your web page’s chances to come off as a legitimate, good quality, real page with useful information.
- Write your articles for the end user (reader of your article or post) and not for the search engine. This does not mean that you should not use SEO techniques. But use only legitimate methods (white hat SEO) and avoid over SEO.
- Try to write longer well structured articles with 250 – 500 words. A lot of very short and over optimized articles give the impression of existence of keyword rich but empty pages on your blog which these updates like Penguin and Panda do not like.
- Try targeting long tail keywords and phrases.
- Update your “About Us” page. Do not underestimate its importance.
- Update your “Contact Us” page. Present yourself as a responsible and approachable web publisher and not as an article spinner.
- Rely only on white hat SEO techniques. If you use any black hat SEO strategy like hidden text or links, abandon it immediately.
- If you use your blog name on any service or forum which may be labelled bad by Google, try to clean up that mess. For example if you are a member of a black hat SEO forum and use your legitimate blog name in Forum signature link, it is better to remove it to avoid sullying your reputation in Google’s eyes.
- Have people engage with your blog or website. Improve your social media presence and you can get lots of organic back links. Enable Google Authorship for your blog.
- Finally, try lowering the website bounce rate and keep writing interesting articles.
Have an advice for new bloggers ? Share in comments below!!
This post was originally published on Indigic.com